Algae can be troublesome in many ways, some people might not know that it has a nutrient called phosphorus which can cause algae blooms. Algal blooms tend to look like pea soup and they can damage both lakes and rivers. This post will break down the 5 best algae control methods to help you prevent an algal bloom in your lake or river.
1. Algae Control With Physical Barriers: One of the most effective methods of controlling algae is to prevent it from getting access to the water in the first place. This can be done by using physical barriers such as covers or screens.
2. Algae Control With Chemicals: Another common method of algae control is to use wasp spray to kill or inhibit the growth of algae. This can be done with algaecides or herbicides.
3. Algae Control With Biocides: The third method of algae control is to use biocides, which are substances that kill or inhibit the growth of living organisms. This can be done with products that contain copper or other metals.
4. Algae Control With Ultraviolet Light: The fourth method of algae control is to use ultraviolet (UV) light to kill or inhibit the growth of algae. This can be done with special UV lamps or filters.
5. Algae Control With Predator Fish: The fifth method of algae control is to use predator fish to eat the algae. This can be done by stocking ponds or lakes with fish that eat algae, such as koi or goldfish.
Regular maintenance of your pond will help to prevent algae growth. This includes cleaning out debris, removing dead leaves and branches, and aerating the water.